Thursday, May 20, 2010

Chicken Cutlets Done Right

Hi girls!

So the other day, I wanted to do chicken cutlets for dinner. This is a family favorite and a regular on the dinner table at the Lavalle house. But, I didn't want to do the same old thing. I wanted to lighten the meal, since I always feel like I'm indulging myself when I eat pan-fried chicken (pan-fried anything really). I have learned, through my adventures in the kitchen, that the best thing you can do to chicken in a frying pan is cook it with butter and olive oil. I used to just do olive oil - makes a huge difference.

Anyway, I found an Ina Garten recipe that I thought would be a good way to mix it up. It turned out great! The chicken tasted lighter and less fried than it normally does and the coating was flakey and delicious. I served the dish without the greens, but used the lemon vinagarette as a sauce for the chicken. YUM! A good family-friendly and kid-friendly meal! That's important, since I have so many children ages 20-22 to cook for! :-)

Here's the recipe. Thanks Ina Garten!

Ingredients for Chicken:
  • 4 - 6 Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt (I used sea salt)
  • 1/2 teaspoon pepper
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon water
  • 1 1/4 cup dried bread crumbs (plain or seasoned, whatever you prefer)
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

Ingredients for Lemon Viniagrette:

  • 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (I cheat and use bottled lemon juice)
  • 1/4 cup good olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (or sea salt)
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Directions

  • Pound chicken until it is as thin as you would like it. 1/4 inch thick is good.
  • Combine the flour, salt, and pepper on a dinner plate.
  • Combine the eggs and teaspoon of water in a shallow bowl.
  • Combine the bread crumbs and parmesan cheese on a dinner plate.
  • Dip the chicken in each dish - flour then eggs then bread crumbs.
  • Heat one tablespoon of butter and one tablespoon of olive oil.
  • Cook chicken on medium heat until browned on both sides and cooked through.
  • Whisk lemon vinaigrette together in small bowl. Use as a topping for plated chicken as well as extra parmesan cheese.

ENJOY!

4 comments:

  1. Yumayumayuma!
    Am I a terrible person for saying that Ina Garten kind of freaks me out? I don't know... It's probably all of the nuclear weapon secrets she has.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love her- My aunt was a friend of hers years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We should make this for the boys!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I want some. (but none for the boys!)

    ReplyDelete