Tuesday, May 25, 2010

When You're Broke

So, since everyone else has posted something here, and I haven't been able to, I'm going to post two meals that Jen and I have made. Note that these meals aren't interesting or creative in any way, I just don't want to be left out.

The first meal Jen and I made was based on the odds and ends left to us by friends. Here is a list:

1.) 1/3 box of whole wheat pasta
2.) leftover tomato sauce made by Andrea
3.) a can of sweet peas with low sodium (this comes into play later)
4.) spaghetti
5.) grated parmesan cheese
6.) salt
7.) the willingness to believe that this meal would be good

So I go over to Tierney with my pasta, tomato sauce, sweet peas, and positive attitude. Jen takes one look at my pasta and decides we don't have enough. Which is funny, since I have tons of boxes of pasta in my room but decided that the leftover one would be more than enough for two people. I was wrong. So Jen gets her pasta and then we start the extremely complicated cooking procedure.

1.) Boil water. DON'T WATCH THE POT OR IT WON'T BOIL! Trust me.
2.) Add pasta to water. Stir sporadically.
3.) Drain the peas because Jen says there's too much water in them. Watch Jen add salt because she wants me to die from the heart attack I was avoiding by buying low sodium peas.
4.) Put tomato sauce in microwave. Turn microwave on (this is a really key part of the operation). Repeat process until sauce is hot.
5.) AFTER EVERYTHING IS COOKED mix them all together.
6.) Add the grated parmesan cheese.
7.) Eat. This is the part where the willingness to believe the meal is good comes into play. It actually was too.

Okay, so the second meal Jen and I made was breakfast this morning. Once again, not a complicated meal. Here is what you need:

1.) 1/3 pack of Bacon (courtesy of Courtney)
2.) 4 Eggs (bought at Tiger Mart at 10 pm after drinks at Howls)
3.) Salt (Once again Jen is trying to give me a heart attack)
4.) Pepper
5.) Whole wheat bread (aren't you proud of me Diana?)
6.) Peanut butter and jelly stolen from the RHO

So I am in charge of cooking the bacon. Which is awesome, cause I love cooking bacon. There are three reasons I love cooking bacon.

1.) I like my bacon well-done. And when I say well-done, I mean almost burned. So I like having control over how cooked the bacon is.
2.) There's an element of danger in cooking bacon, because of the spitting liquefied fat. As you all know, I like a little danger in my life.
3.) I get to sing the bacon song. This is the bacon song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBE_T-K8nhY (I promise you will enjoy it)

You have to cook the bacon until it's three sizes too small. Like the Grinch's heart.

Jen scrambled the eggs. She added salt and pepper, which was good cause we had no ketchup to add onto them. I was hoping to finally try eggs sunny side up, but we don't have a spatchula so I couldn't. That will be an adventure for another day.

After we cooked these, we set up some bread with jelly and peanut butter on it. Everything was really good, except the jelly was sugar free so it didn't taste nearly as good as normal.

I know you're all really jealous of me and Jen right now.

4 comments:

  1. Good thing all my food is getting used by someone!

    I can't wait until the rice-a-roni posts begin :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my bacon super burned too!! Also, There's an element of danger in cooking bacon, because of the spitting liquefied fat. As you all know, I like a little danger in my life." HHAHAHHAHAHAHA

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you all appreciate my posts. Also, I hope you watched the youtube video. I did a little dance when I sang it to Jen. Now you KNOW you're jealous of her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahaha. I didn't know that low-sodium peas existed... I just thought that they were all low-sodium....

    ReplyDelete