Sunday, June 27, 2010

Stuffed Peppers

Okay, so I'm sorry that I haven't been a very good poster, but I don't make very interesting dishes, and when I do they rarely involve measurments. For example, I made chicken the other day and the only way I could describe it would be to use a shit ton of chili powder and then add ground mustard, salt, and pepper to your liking. Anyways, I made stuffed peppers last night, and have a decent idea of the amounts you will need to here it goes. Heads up it's a very simple recipe but trust me they're good.

Here's what you will need:

4 Large Green Bell Peppers (the bigger the better, and if you can't find big ones get 5 average sized ones)
1 lb ground beef
12 oz Tomato sauce
1 cup white rice
1 packet of Lipton Onion Soup
A lot of shredded cheddar cheese

First things first, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Then, start cooking the rice because it always seems to take forever. I know you can all manage cooking rice without my instruction so I'll spare you the steps.

Next, brown the ground beef. Once it's all cooked, you're going to want to drain the excess fat. Seriously, don't leave it, it will mess up the consistency.

While you're waiting for your rice and meat to cook, you can clean the peppers. You want to cut of the top of the pepper and remove all the seeds and whatnot from the inside. Try not to cut too much of the top, because you're going to need a lot of room for the stuffing part. My family doesn't eat the pepper part, but if you want to, you're going to need to steam the peppers prior to stuffing them. I believe you can steam them in the microwave.

Heat up the tomato sauce and then mix the tomato sauce, the ground beef, the rice, and the lipton onion soup mix all together. They don't need to be heated while mixing, since they're all already hot and you're also going to bake them. For the rest of this post, this mixture will be referred to as the stuffing.

Once all this is prepared you're going to start the layering process. Put a layer of cheese on the bottom of every pepper. The amount of cheese you use is really at your own discretion. Next, fill the pepper halfway with the stuffing. Make sure you pack the stuffing in, so you can get the most for your space. Next, another layer of cheese. I love cheese. Then fill the rest of your pepper with stuffing. Once you've filled the pepper, add a generous layer of cheese on top.

Finally, bake the peppers in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the top is not only melted but the cheese is starting to brown slightly. Remove, and enjoy!!

If you have left over mix, you can either freeze it, or you can always bake it in an oven safe bowl, but it won't have the pepper flavor then. I didn't have leftover mix because whatever didn't fit in the pepper was eaten by an impatient and hungry boy.

Alright, there is my post. Also, I miss and love you all :)

2 comments:

  1. None of us have been very good posters... haha. But you forgot to mention the most important part of this meal--its purpose :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fine- the purpose of this meal was to prove that I am a good homemaker so as to secure companionship. Also, it was my payback date for Toy Story 3. And it went over great :)

    ReplyDelete